The constant race to bring the next great idea to market has led to the rise of DevOps. In fact, in 2016 74 percent of all enterprises used at least one of the DevOps tool to shorten their time to market. 1
However, with the proliferation of DevOps comes a new host of security risks. According to Puppet, teams that addressed security at every stage of their software development spent 50 percent less time fixing security issues.2 While teams have the opportunity to address code-level vulnerabilities at the right time, they often skimp on other security measures such (like digital certificates) to maintain their release cycles.
Herein lies the problem.
Why have digital certificates become a road block for DevOps?
Because DevOps was not fundamentally designed with security in mind, the question remains: how does security fit into the DevOps puzzle? Important security measures like digital certificates are often overlooked by DevOps teams due to their slow provisioning times. And, many enterprises today still manually issue and manage certificates and keys in their networks and application infrastructures. These error-prone manual processes are incompatible with current DevOps’ continuous delivery environments, forcing DevOps teams to resort to insecure alternatives (such as free certificates).3
Is there a secure alternative?
Yes! Automation provides a secure alternative. It drastically reduces the time needed to procure and provision certificates in a DevOps environment. By standardizing and automating the entire certificate lifecycle, DevOps teams can scale without sacrificing agility or security. Adopting automation tools can also help eliminate any security risks and application outages that can stem from poorly managed certificates.
AppViewX’s Certificate Lifecycle Automation solution Accelerates Secure DevOps
The Certificate Lifecycle Automation solution offers a one-stop solution for automated discovery, expiry alerting, renewal, provisioning and revoking of SSL/TLS certificates across networks including servers and managed ADC devices. Its APIs can be used by any DevOps platform including Puppet, Chef, Docker, Ansible, Terraform and Saltstack to automate the certificate provisioning process in a DevOps environment. Our powerful APS automation templates further enhance the process by allowing teams to generate and download certificates and keys to any desired location, without any manual intervention. This eliminates the need for any standalone program (such as an agent) to be released and installed on the host system.
With AppViewX’s Certificate Lifecycle Automation solution, you can
- Closely integrate with your DevOps platform to order certificates from any supported CA, push issued certificates to requesting applications, renew and revoke existing certificates, and delete unused certificates. (also supports in bulk)
- Discover certificates and keys in your environment through different modes, such as IP, subnet, and managed devices, and automatically build an inventory.
- Delegate access and granular visibility into certificates or certificate groups to enable efficient provisioning.
- Enforce strict policies such as recommended CAs, cryptographic algorithms and key lengths.
- Activate enhanced visibility with a hierarchal view of server certificates, intermediate certificates, CA root certificates, and trust chain validity.
- Monitor the expiration status of certificates across networks, renew certificates on time, and prevent unnecessary application downtime.
- Get notified about non-compliant keys and certificates in your environment on a regular basis.
- Create audit trails for each activity.
- Store private keys in a FIPS-compliant environment.
Start automating your network today! BOOK MY DEMO
Maintaining the speed, efficiency and security of DevOps environments can seem like an uphill battle. But, with the right automation tools, you can open the door to unlimited opportunities with limited resources. To learn more about our solutions, please visit https://www.appviewx.com/solutions/certificate-lifecycle-automation/