The customer is a multinational banking and financial services company headquartered in the UK.
To enable provisioning of over 600 switches into the infrastructure on an ad-hoc basis. The need for provisioning the switches is two-fold:
Get a Copy of our Case Study Now!
- To replace the old switches that were nearing their EOL(End of Life)
- To support the company’s expanding operations in new regions across the globe
They had to provision 4 types of Cisco Nexus switches – ISR, ASR, CAT9k, and Nx-OS.
- Tedious, error-prone, iterative steps for implementing configurations on over 600 devices, with each of the 4 types having a different configuration
- Need for expert technical guidance
- Intensive collaboration between teams
- Multiple-levels of approval
- Need to ensure policy compliance for all 600 devices
The AppViewX Solution
AppViewX enabled network engineers to automate the provisioning process for the 600+ switches and routers from start to finish.
- AppViewX’s modularity enabled the devices’ golden configuration to be kept separate from the business logic. This removed the need for modifying the device configuration code every time a logical change had to be executed.
- The bank’s mandatory AIG (Application Installation Guide) was made available on-demand to help create the provisioning workflow and guide the engineers through the process of on-boarding the devices into the bank’s network infrastructure.
- The need for extensive technical support was removed with the user-friendly visual workflow builder. The visual workflows helped automate the manual processes involved in provisioning and dramatically brought down errors and implementation times
- The platform’s built-in integration with their existing ITSM solution enabled the usually time-consuming change management process to be fully automated
- Robotic Process Automation in AppViewX automated device information template generation and change creation for all switches, which could then be updated in the various management platforms by the respective teams (self-service)
- AppViewX provided both maker-checker approval and auto-approval models for device configuration validation
- Engineers could reuse the workflows for configuring the remaining devices ad-hoc instead of spending hours starting from scratch.
- Teams could get notified along every stage of the process through emails and chat channels. The change reports could also be downloaded as PDFs
- Engineers could perform pre- and post-implementation validations to make sure the devices configured were in compliance with company policies, and the overall health of the network was maintained after the change.
Key Business Benefits
- Drastic reduction in error-riddled manual processes.
- Generating device information templates for all switches, which would’ve taken 15 days manually, was done in 15 minutes with AppViewX
- The review and approval process for the application installation guide was brought down from 90 hours to 5 hours
- The provisioning of the 4 types of nexus switches, which would have taken 3 days to do manually, was done in 2 hours with AppViewX.
Time saved with AppViewX
“These automated flows really saved a lot of time in the change front and helped in performing error-free technical implementations.”
-The engineer responsible for provisioning the switches